The panadons are bread dough filled with spinach and pumpkin. They are originally from Lleida and are prepared according to the recipe of each family. At home three different versions are made: some with spinach, raisins and pine nuts, others with pumpkin and sugar and the ones we like most carry spinach and pumpkin. It is a recipe that is prepared for Easter and is usually made a good amount to last several days. To me personally, I like more freshly made and for that reason I give you the amounts to make 6 panadons. If you want more, you know, to multiply.
For the mass:
- 225 ml water
- 50 ml of olive oil
- 500 g flour
- For the filling:
- 300 g spinach
- 350 g squash
- A handful of raisins
- A handful of pine nuts
- Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and sugar
Panadons: preparation of the recipe
- If you use fresh spinach, start scalding. Just place them in a saucepan with boiling water and, as soon as the boil starts, remove them with a slotted spoon to a tray to cool them while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the water and the oil in a bowl. Add salt and then add the flour gradually and mixing with the spoon. Add flour until you get thick dough and it costs to continue working with the spoon.
- Sprinkle with flour the marble and dump the dough. Love her with her hands for two or three minutes. Incorporate the flour that is necessary (with the measure that I give you in the ingredients you have to spare). Once kneaded, divide into 6 servings and knead them one by one into buns. Put the rolls on a little flour and cover them with a cotton cloth to protect them from light and air.
- Use while resting the dough (about 10 to 20 minutes) to cut the pumpkin to thin sheets.
- Place a baking paper on the baking sheet and pour a generous stream of olive oil. It will prevent the panadones from sticking.
- Sprinkle the marble with flour and spread a portion of dough with the roll without kneading. If you stick to the roll or the marble, help with flour. A thin dough should remain. If you break, next time go more carefully, but this time pinch the dough to repair the hole;). Place a layer of spinach in the middle, season with salt and olive oil and distribute raisins and pine nuts to your liking. Close first one part, then the other, crossing over the first, and finally close the edges in peak. Lift the panado with both hands and, without entertaining, leave it on the tray greased with oil. Watch the video to make this explanation clearer.
- To fill the pumpkin panadons, place a layer of rolled pumpkin to your taste and season with a pinch of salt, sugar and olive oil. Close it and, without entertaining yourself, leave it in the oil pan.
- To fill the pumpkin and spinach panadons, spread a layer of spinach on the dough, season with salt, and then spread a layer of pumpkin and season with sugar and olive oil. Once closed, take it to the tray.
- Sprinkle with sugar the panadons that carry squash and water all the panadons with a good jet of olive oil. Insert the tray into the preheated oven at 220 ° C in the middle of the oven. When you see them dry, water them generously with olive oil as often as you think fit. This will make the dough very crisp. When the dough browns, remove them from the oven and you have ready your panadons to enjoy them.
I want you to see this amazing selection of appetizers and snacks that are prepared in less than 5 minutes here.